Himachal Pradesh University : Mission
Mission & Objectives
- To cultivate the spirit of free enquiry, to foster independent and critical thinking, to be a repository of knowledge, to be an instrument of dissemination of knowledge and to promote the traditions, values enshrined in Indian heritage and tradition. To be specific, its purpose is to empower, in particular, the people of Himachal Pradesh, most of whom lives in difficult, remote and tribal areas, through educational processes by undertaking teaching, research and outreach programmes.
- Further, it strives to have a system of higher education rigorously intellectual and socially relevant. It is to inculcate in students values of reason, discipline, democracy, patriotism, respect for differences, rigor, objectivity, professionalism, social responsibility, cooperation, non-violence and perfectionism.
- The University aims at providing opportunity, both through the formal and distance mode, for total quality education to everyone irrespective of gender, race, creed, caste, or class. It is engaged in equipping students with relevant and appropriate skills, attitudes and experiences for meeting the challenges of life.
Hence broadly speaking, the mission of the University is to usher Himachal Pradesh and India into the new millennium as a leading contributor in the field of education and research both in the social sciences, languages, behaviourial sciences and in science & technology.
Distinct Features of University
- Accredited by National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC)
- UGC recognized Centre for Excellence in Himalayan Studies
- Pioneered NRI (Self Financing) Scheme
- First to start Distance Education in the country
- Intellectually and Professionally enriched faculty
- HPU Alumni Excelled in All Spheres
- Fair and creditable semester system of examinations
- Special assistance departments of History, Physics, Bio-Technology, Chemistry, Bio-Sciences
- Academic Staff College one of the best in India
- Commendable performance in sports and cultural activities at national level
- Congenial environment for higher studies
- Substantial number of students qualify NET, GATE and other competitive examinations every year
- Linkages with national and international institutions
- The culture of holding seminars, workshops, conferences, symposia, etc.
- National level achievements in NCC, NSS, youth welfare programmes
- Free education to girl students
- One seat reserved in each department for single girl child